Monday, April 14, 2014

Great Escape 2014


This is the third time that Trav and I been on “Great Escape” but this will be the first time we have been the entire time (which is a trip all the way around the world). The event kicked off in Vancouver.   If Park City and Amsterdam had a love child it would be Vancouver.   Mountains still covered in snow… coffee shops everywhere… We liked it a lot.   Though the scoring hasn’t really started yet Bill, the event director, sent us out on test scavenges in Vancouver. Of the 30+ scavenges I believe Trav and I knocked out 4….(I’m not sure who the “World’s Greatest Travelers” will be but it’s pretty clear it will not be us).   Blogging by definition is self-indulgent and I always feel a bit conscientious doing it.   A lot of funny things happened in Vancouver but none of it seems appropriate to write about (harder yet was writing the post card we promised Lyric’s kindergarten class).  We left at 2am Sunday en route to Osaka Japan where the first official leg of the competition will begin.  You know your madly in love with someone when 18 hours of flying is fun (exit row seats and a xanex prescription helped a lot as well).   

Osaka is huge.  Jetlagged and over plane food, we ventured out last night to the closest non chain appearing restaurant we could find With a huge language barrier and menus sans pictures we let the waitress/chef the couple sitting next to us order our meal for us and that worked out well.  Saki is much better in Japan

We have a book of scavenges and it’s 5am… I believe Erik, Casey Trav and I are going to see the place that the Last Samurai was filmed today as someone is obsessed with it..


 Erik and I in Vancouver 

On the Ferry in Vancouver 

No comments:

Post a Comment